Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Enos 1:11 "faith began to be unshaken"

And while I was thus struggling in the spirit, behold, the voice of the Lord came into my mind again, saying: I will visit thy brethren according to their diligence in keeping my commandments. I have given unto them this land, and it is a holy land; and I curse it not save it be for the cause of iniquity; wherefore, I will visit thy brethren according as I have said; and their transgressions will I bring down with sorrow upon their own heads. And after I, Enos, had heard these words, my faith began to be unshaken in the Lord
Enos 1:10-11

It wasn't just hearing the voice of the Lord that caused his faith to become unshaken; the feeling came after hearing these words. Was it something about these words that caused that?

Perhaps how this land was prime real estate? And what exactly are we to make of this: "and I curse [the land] not be it be for the cause of iniquity"? Does this imply that there are actually other lands that the Lord curses for reasons other than iniquity? (Strictly speaking, it does not say this. And I wouldn't go there.)

I suppose it has more to do with first the Lord granting a blessing to Enos personally and then his people the Nephites. He's probably just saying, "Well I got response x which was good, and y was also good. Let's see about z."

I won't try to read too much into this verse. That said, I find it interesting that Enos's faith began to become unshaken after hearing the voice of the Lord. Jacob, his father, had the same feeling after searching the prophets and having many revelations. What does this tell us about the relationship between hearing the voice of the Lord and having unshaken faith? Am I seeking the voice of the Lord throughout my day?

Wherefore, we search the prophets, and we have many revelations and the spirit of prophecy; and having all these witnesses we obtain a hope, and our faith becometh unshaken, insomuch that we truly can command in the name of Jesus and the very trees obey us, or the mountains, or the waves of the sea.
Jacob 4:6





No comments:

Post a Comment