Thursday, December 18, 2014

On the only true church... and cookies

In a typical testimony meeting of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we often hear, "I know The Church is true." This is shorthand for "the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well pleased" (D&C 1:30). I wonder, "Is our 'only true church' reduction sloppy thinking?"

Suppose last week I told you, "Oreos are the only black and white cookie upon the face of the whole earth, with which I am well pleased".

There are several reasons you can't reduce this to "Oreos are the only black cookie" First, Oreos are not black cookies; they are black and white cookies. Second, Oreos are not the only black cookies. In fact, other cookies may better fit the "black cookie" description.


The same goes for white cookies.



In fact, we run into a similar problem when we claim Oreos are the only black and white cookie. Hydrox claims to be the first creme-filled cookie and there are other Oreo knock-offs which are no less black and white than your typical Oreo.


If the reducing our statement about cookies to "Oreos are the only black cookie" is inaccurate, could it be that the "only true church" reduction is no less problematic? The more I learn about other faiths, the more I recognize the truths within them. I have no trouble saying both the other churches are true AND declaring the Church is the only true and living church of which the Lord is well pleased.


Side note: I would never claim Oreos as the only black and white cookie of which I am well pleased.

"If people would only look to the cookie, all our problems would be solved."


No comments:

Post a Comment