Monday, September 21, 2009

Railing

I suppose one silver lining to my inability to sleep is I get to catch up on my scripture reading. My recent postings have all come from The Book of Mormon, because I am reading Psalms and they go on and on and on and on. (I am very behind in the Bible. Not quite sure how I will catch up. Perhaps I need to abandon my goal to read the whole standard works in one year. To catch up I would need 10+ pages a day. We'll see.)

Reading 3 Nephi it always amazes me how similar to our day that book is. It describes society's condition just prior to the Lord's first visit. Perhaps it also describes what the world will be like just before the Lord's second coming? "For there were many merchants in the land, and also many lawyers, and many officers. And the people began to be distinguished by ranks, according to their riches and their chances for learning." I work in a group that places much value in not only what you studied in college, but where you studied. "yea, some were ignorant because of their poverty, and other did receive great learning because of their riches." Anyone know what 4 years at Yale goes for these days? "Some were lifted up in pride and others were exceedingly humble; some did return railing for railing," Fox News, CNN, Rush Limbaugh anyone? What stood out to me while reading this particular passage this last week however, was the next part: "while others would receive railings and persecution and all manner of afflictions, and would not turn and revile again, but were humble and penitent before God" (3 Nephi 6.11-13). Willingness to receive railings and persecutions and all manner of afflictions is not something we teach our children. How do we teach our children to not turn and revile again?

No comments:

Post a Comment