Tuesday, May 19, 2009

40 Years of Wandering

I'm in Deuteronomy this week. In this book Moses speaks not to the people he led out of Egypt (except Joshua and Caleb), but rather to their children. Not only did the wicked, unfaithful Israelites who lacked courage to conquer Canaan wander for 40 years in the wilderness, but their children did also. Children often suffer for their parents mistakes. But the Lord in His infinite wisdom uses that suffering to His advantage.

"And thou shalt remember all the way which the Lord thy God led the these 40 years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no." (Deut. 8.2)

Reading this verse made me wonder about my own challenges in life. Rather than blame my life's difficulties on my parents or my genes or my circumstances, I should just embrace the test. I recognize that some of my challenges I've lived with throughout my life so far. And some are new, but these I will likely live with the next 40 years. Perhaps I don't need to ask why do I deserve these challenges. Is it not to prove me? To know what is in my heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment